About Edogawa University
Edogawa University originates from the Joto Home Economics Girls High School which commenced in April, 1931 when Ms. Kin Matsuoka opened the school in her home in Koiwa-cho in Tokyo.The Edogawa Commercial Girls School (Edogawa Girls Junior High School and Senior High School) was established in March, 1944 which became Edogawa Gakuen Academy in March, 1951.
Kinu Kiuchi was appointed as a chairman of Board of Directors in 1952, and instilled in the students the spirit of wood sorrel (meaning ’shining hearts’).
Looking for a four leaf clover in the wilderness, the ideal of the young. From “Katabami” (Kiuchi Kinu)
It comes from long ago when Buddhist alter brass and wrought iron items were polished with wood sorrel, leading to the flower meaning of ‘to polish one's heart and make it shine.’The wood sorrel became the symbol of the school.
The time of Joto Home Economics Girls High School (1931)
The school medal in wood sorrel shape
Since then, until the present, the following schools were established: Edogawa Gakuen Toride Junior and Senior High School in April, 1978, Edogawa Gakuen Toyoshiki Technical College in April, 1981 (now the Edogawa University Health and Welfare Technical College), Edogawa Women’s Junior College in April, 1985, Edogawa University in April, 1990, Edogawa Toride Elementary School in April, 2014. Edogawa Gakuen has a long history of experience and success as a private educational institute.
Also, at the request of Nagareyama City the social welfare corporation was established in July 2010 and in April 2011 the Edogawa no Mori Hoikuen Nursery School and child care center ‘Himawari’ commenced neighboring the Edogawa University. The Edogawa Minami Nagareyama Nursery School also started in April 2014.Today the Academy has developed into an integrated school with education facilities from nursery schools, an elementary school, junior and senior high schools, to a technical college as well as a university.
Edogawa University was certified in 1989 and opened in April 1990.When the university was established, it started with only one college and two departments the College of Sociology and the Department of Applied Sociology and the Department of Mass Communications. TEdogawa University was certified in 1989 and opened in April 1990.he aim was to develop capable human resources for modern society who have the ability to respond to the needs of the advanced information society with high language skills. Also to create students able to face modern social situations with a global and a with a focus on sociology to research and learn.
Since then new departments were introduced. The Department of Environmental Information started in April 1997, and the Department of Business Management in April 2000 and became one college with four departments. In April 1999, the Department of Applied Social Studies became the College of Sociology, and in April 2002, the Department of Environmental Information changed its name to the Department of Environmental Design.During this time, the University has introduced to society large numbers of globally thinking human resources with information processing and analysis skills.
In April 2006 two colleges and five departments (College of Sociology Department of Psychology and Humanities Life Design Department of Business Management College of Media and Communication Department of Department of Communication and Business) were newly started to adapt to a rapidly changing information-based society. The university thought there was a need to consider the role of vastly changing media information content and information deployment and therefore aimed for a more expert approach to research regarding mass communications and the internet indispensable to modern society as well as focusing on the world language of English.(In April 2012, the College of Sociology life design department was renamed Department of Contemporary Sociology)
In response to the strong request from Nagareyama City to provide human resources able to support local children and education, the Department of Childhood and Communication Studies was established in the College of Media and Communication in April 2014.
Currently, the university has two faculties and six departments (the College of Sociology: Department of Psychology and Humanities, Department of Contemporary Sociology, Department of Business Management. // College of Media and Communication: Department of Mass Communications, College of Communication and Business, Department of Childhood and Communication Studies).